Wednesday, July 30, 2014

2014-2015 Homeschool Curriculum

I cant believe that we are heading into our 3rd year of homeschooling! I am looking forward to this year more than I have in the past. I feel more at ease teaching my children, more prepared as a CC Tutor, and more confident in the Classical process. I want to be more intentional with my homeschooling and while I do want to find new ways to drive in the memory work, I also want to stay true to the Classical model and be as simple as possible. And can I just say that simple is hard? There is SO much out there!


Chase- 1st grade

1. Saxon- I LOVED  Saxon last year and Chase did really well with it. Continuing on to Saxon 2!



2.Handwriting- We started A Reason for Handwriting in the Spring, but we crashed and burned and took our summer break early. I really like the colorful pictures, the Scripture sentences, and it offers lots of practice.


3. Spelling/Phonics- We also started All About Spelling in the Spring and stopped when we needed the break (we finished our 2013-2014 curriculum early and I thought it would be a good idea to continue school- I was wrong). We will start over from Lesson 1 when we start school in a couple of weeks. I don't love All About Spelling (it is pretty teacher intensive and uses lots of manipulatives which drives me crazy), but Chase doesn't mind it. I do think that it will give him a solid spelling/phonics foundation and have been told that it is a great prep for Essentials.




4. Grammar- I havent completely decided if we will use the 2nd grade portion of First Language Lessons. I loved the 1st grade portion, but 2nd grade seems like a lot of writing for a 6 year old boy. If it doenst work out then I will stick with Sonlight LA.


Ansleigh- Kindergarten

Ansleigh will be joining us at the homeschool table and will be enrolled in the Abecedarian class in Foundations. She is SO excited to be in "real " school!


1. Math-Saxon 1.


2. Handwriting-A Reason for Handwriting.


3. Reading- I tried using The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading with Ansleigh. I thought she would like all the little songs and flashcards, but she hated it. Hopefully this will work better for her!




For both kids-

1. Sonlight- I cant stay away from Sonlight. I love, love, love their literature selections! Last year we just read from the Sonlight list, but this year I am wanting to dig in a little more. After looking through a friends Instructors Guide, I have decided that we will be using Core A  with some supplementing. I am praying that it wont be too much- We shall see!
Core A History, Bible, Language Arts, Reading with Grade K Readers - 5-Day ACKR5

2. Classical Conversations Cycle 3-We will continue to meet once a week at Classical Conversations of Evans. I will be tutoring again this year and I am so excited! This cycle the kids will be introduced to American History, US Geography, 24 science facts (including the first 12 elements of the periodic table and the parts of 8 body systems), Latin rules and John 1:1-7 in latin, English grammar facts, and multiplication tables up to 15x15, squares and cubes, basic geometric facts, etc. It seems like a lot, but it really isn't! The kids will learn over 400 pieces of information through songs, chants, hand motions, etc. They have so much fun!


3. Carols Curriculum- I am mainly using Carols for preschool craft activities. Chase and Ansleigh loved it when they were smaller and I think AG is old enough to enjoy it now. Plus, I love that everything comes in a box and I dont have to plan anything! :)


The more that I prepare the more that I am looking forward to this upcoming year! I am praying that it will be our best year yet! :)



1 comment:

  1. Yay! Fun! I can't wait to get our stuff in the mail.

    ReplyDelete